Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patricks Day!

I grew up in a very Irish household. My dad came over from Galway when he was 18, because the opportunities over there were pretty sparse. My mom was born here, but both my maternal grandparents were from Ireland as well (County Galway and Mayo ), and sadly, my grandmother when my mom was 7, so every summer instead of camp, or a babysitter, my grandfather would send her over to my aunt's in Glann. She would spend her summers in the fields, working at the B&B my aunt owned, and playing with her cousins.

When I was 15, we went as a family to visit, for the first time in about 7 years (my dad goes back yearly, but it's such an expensive trip, we all hadn't had the chance to go).

I loved it I decided that this is where I belonged, and I was going to move to Ireland. It was so serene, people were so friendly, and even the air smelled better than it did in Boston. I announced my decision to my mother, and even I looked at colleges out there.

I didn't end up going to school out there, I think the actuality of living 3000 miles away from my close family (I would have my grandmother, aunts, uncles and cousins, but my sisters and parents would still be here) and friends scared me, and I chickend out. Secretly, I wish I had applied, just to see what would have happened. I do miss it, my sister just got back from a trip with my Dad, and looking at her pictures made me insanely jealous. I wouldn't trade my heritage, or my family for anything in the world.

That said, while I love being Irish, and am very proud of my heritage, I don't feel the need to celebrate by getting blackout drunk today. It's a Saints day, and the way I see it, if you're truly Irish, you don't need an excuse to drink ;-) I love my family's tradition of corned beef, brown bread, and Irish candies, and yes, I am wearing my Green "Slainte" shirt, haha. I just hate over crowded bars and people getting wasted and pretending the are super Irish just because they can. It's not my scene.

What is my scene?

M and I have plans to go out for a few drinks tomorrow night and I fully plan on getting a delicious stout  (ok, I might have more than one) to mark the holiday :-) So with that, Happy St. Patrick's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment