Thursday, April 28, 2011

3.2

As you remember, I've had some bad knee pain from running as of late. I took 2 full weeks off, and haven't run anything over 2 miles since. After my last one, my knee started to bother me again. Not bad pain like before, just uncomfortable.

So my plan for this week was to continue the strength moves, through videos and free weights. Also, for cardio do a walking/smal run/eliptical combo. I was a bit nervous to run still, so I felt this would be best.

I get to the gym yesterday, and realize that they finally got in the new treadmills! The old ones were awful, and rickity, so I won't lie, the gym geek inside of me was pretty excited.

So I got ready, climbed on, and planned to run 1 mile straight, varying my speed between 4.8-5.0 (I'm slow, don't judge. Its hard with 45 extra pounds on me!)

I got close to the mile point, and said to myself, you know what, you are already at 12, why not just run till the 15 minute mark. And I did :-) I ended up running a little bit over, to bring me to 1.3 miles ran, 1.5 total with the warm up. I started to walk, and realized that I felt great.

I had no pain, my right thigh was a bit tight and sore, but nothing awful.

I could keep going.

And I did. I walked 5 minutes total, at a fast pace, and then ran another 10 minutes. Let me just state that I normally run 7 minute increments, taking 30 second breathers to catch my breath. This run made me realize that I was holding myself back. I wasn't pushing myself, and I was creating a wall. I had started the c25K program last summer, bearly being able to do 3minute miles. Since then I've lost close to 30 pounds, and don't need to walking breaks like I used to. I was telling myself that I would teeter out if I didn't take those water breaks every 7 minutes, when in fact I can definetly make it till 10, even 15 minutes without needing a breather.

After the 10 minutes, I was at 2.65, farther than I've ran in a long time. I took another 3 minute walking break, and started up again, running the final 7 minutes bringing me up to 3.2 total. With cooldown 3.35, but a 5k none the less!

I felt invigorated, for the first time in a long time after a run. It didn't feel like work, it felt great! I actually enjoyed myself while running. And what's more, I had no knee pain. I was stiff, and felt exhausted, but after a few squats and lunges, my legs felt more limber, and I could feel how much stronger they are, even though I only started focusing on my strengthening 3 weeks ago. I can see the muscles becoming defined, and I see the inches lost in my hips and thighs. It's awesome, I love it, and It felt amazing last night to be able to accomplish the full 3.2

I have 1.5 months till the Milton road race. June 14 630pm. I am going to start running outside, to get used to the heat, but at least it'll be at night, so even if it's really hot by then, it won't be too bad.

And I'm just going to say it now. I plan on running 80% of it. I am going to take what I did yesterday, and train with that. Run a mile, walk .2, run a mile, walk .3 run .7 mile. Totally doable. I want my time to be under 40 , and I think that's definetly achievable.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment