Monday, January 24, 2011

Back to the Grind

So I'd say I feel 90% better, and am due to go back to work tomorrow, which is good, but at the same time I've kinda loved having my time off this week. It was nice to spend a week just relaxing. Seriously, my day went:
  • wake up at 9. take a percocet
  • fall back asleep around 10, wake up at 1. eat lunch
  • watch a movie, play video games, read for a few hours
  • take another percocet, fall back asleep before dinner, eat, read, watch a movie, etc until bedtime
wash, repeat. I won't lie. After months of working out at least once or twice a week (normally more like 3-5 times a week), working 40+ hours, going out, spending countless hours driving, it was nice to have an excuse to do NOTHING. I also started a new book, Fall of Giants by Ken Follet. He wrote Pillars of the Earth, which is one of my favorite books ever. I'm only about 200 pages in, but so far it's in the similar style of Pillars, but more modern day (WWI era, compared to the 1400s), and as a history lover, I'm really enjoying it so far.

Unfortunately, all good things come to an end :-) I'm ready to be back in the grind, back to work, taking on everything I've missed in the past week (luckily the third week of the month is never that busy, so hopefully it wont be that bad. In addition, I still can't work out until (I think) the weekend. I'm going to ask my doctor when I get my incisions checked on Wednesday.  So at least It'll be a slow transition back :-)

I'm secretly looking forward to getting back into working out. I have enjoyed my life of sedentary, but I like feeling like I've accomplished something, and I feel better about what I eat when I'm working out. Lately every time I start to run I get a terrible pain/cramp in my side. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it's so bad I have to stop. I think it has something to do with the gallbladder, and the fact that it has caused me some, ahem, indigestion problems. To put it lightly. So hopefully I've overcome that hurdle, and I will be able to get back on my 5K training. There is a 5K in March, the 20th for St Patricks Day. It takes place in Davis, and afterwards there is a celebration at all the bars and restaurants in the area. And Davis has so many awesome places to go out (including the best Southern BBQ in the boston area), so it would be so much fun to celebrate us all completing it afterwards. My sisters and M said they would do it with me, and I want to be able to finish in under 40 this time. It'll be warmer, and If I start running again this weekend, following the 5K program (I'm back at week 6 because of the side pain), I should be able to finish it by the beginning of March, and have quite a few runs outside before the race starts.

As far as eating goes this past week, I wasn't terrible, to be perfectly honest. I haven't tracked since last Sunday, but I'm ok with that. I didn't want to have to worry about tracking while I was feeling so crappy, and I really couldn't handle heavy foods this past week anyways, so I didn't think it was wise to worry about my eating while I was focused on resting and recouperating.

And I was pretty decent about portions. Yes, I definitely ate a lot of sweets. But I tried to focus somewhat on portions (estimating for the most part). I ate a lot of soup and cereal for breakfast and lunch, light sandwiches, and most nights had a small portion of pasta, because I really didn't have much of an appetite. To be honest, I still don't really, but definitely better than Tuesday/Wednesday.

I've gotten to enjoy a lot that I wasn't letting myself eat (not worth the points), and it got balanced out with the light meals. I weighed in on Saturday morning (my normal WI day is Friday, but with the surgery, they injected air into my stomach, and I didn't get normal again until Friday afternoon, so I felt like Friday's WI wouldn't be accurate. And I was right, I WI at 219.6, which is great, because even with not tracking and the like, it's a 1.4 loss :-) I am 1.6 away from 40 pounds, and with my surgery over with, I'm planning on being back OP, working out when I can, eating healthy (I think this week my lunches are going to be salads, with grilled chicken)

So Here's to a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment